Gina has been meaning to post this recipe for a while, because it’s one of her favorites. She never made anything in a slow cooker before she met Thomas and she still can’t believe you can just leave something cooking in your house all day. How wonderful.
This recipe is adapted from one in Real Simple magazine (which by the way y’all, Gina just noticed it’s $5 for a year subscription on Amazon this morning, what a deal! Sold!)
Asian Short Ribs: Ingredients
1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup rice vinegar (regular works fine too)
2 cloves chopped garlic
1 tablespoon ginger (Gina doesn’t use this because Thomas doesn’t like it)*
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
8 bone-in beef short ribs (or if you are POOR like us, buy like 4 boneless ones and add extra vegetables instead)
A small bag of baby carrots
A small green cabbage, cut into 6 wedges
Optional: cornstarch, sesame oil, scallions
1. Put the soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, garlic, ginger, and red pepper in the crock pot and stir it up to make a sauce.
2. Add the beef and carrots and get the sauce all over them.
3. Lay the cabbage on top of that. It will steam while the beef and carrots cook.
4. Cook on high 5-6 hours or low 7-8 hours.
5. Optional: At dinnertime you can take out the beef and vegetables, and thicken the sauce with a little cornstarch and sesame oil but Gina doesn’t bother because she’s impatient! You can also add chopped scallions to the top.
*yes she does but just a little tiny bit.